Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jamestiberius
New Contributor II

wizard error - Unable to setup VPN: Empty values are not allowed

tried using the wizard to create VPn tunnels between two fortinet boxes.

start creating VPN on first box, selected site to site VPN, get to the part where you put in the local interface, local subnet, and remote subnet, and when I click on CREATE I get the error:

Unable to setup VPN: Empty values are not allowed.

where is the empty value?  I have put information in at each step.

anyone ran into this before?

I can create one manually, just want to understand what the problem is.

9 REPLIES 9
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Can't say much about the wizard, but you will get that if you try to use an address entity that is on a different interface than what you're trying to set up.

Example: You have "server" set up on internal, but you use it as the destination for a DMZ -> WANx policy.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
CyberNorris
New Contributor III

Just got the same error. Opened the wizard again from the beginning and with the exact same steps in place it worked.

Now if the VPN itself would just work....!

Norris Carden

Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016)

CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)

Norris Carden Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016) CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)
Allwyn_Mascarenhas

cybernorris wrote:

Just got the same error. Opened the wizard again from the beginning and with the exact same steps in place it worked.

did this last week, got this same error, just opened the wizard again and configured the vpn and it just worked.

CyberNorris

allwynmasc wrote:

cybernorris wrote:

did this last week, got this same error, just opened the wizard again and configured the vpn and it just worked.

Yup, after going backwards through the wizard a few times.

BTW, the VPN connected just fine. The laptop I was loaned to use for testing had a VM interface in the same subnet as the remote network, so it never sent any of the VPN traffic out the LAN port.

Norris Carden

Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016)

CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)

Norris Carden Fortinet XTreme Team USA (2015, 2016) CISSP (2005), CISA (2007), NSE4 (2016)
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

jamestiberius wrote:

Unable to setup VPN: Empty values are not allowed.

Use the dot-decimal notation instead of a net mask for the subnet mask

i.e. 255.255.255.0 instead of /24 etc.

aaltojuk

I had the same problem, but when I created the VPN with another name it went through fine. I tried rebooting, but somehow it still remembers my first try. How could I erase the old tunnel? I can't see it in the tunnels menu or anywhere else but somewhere Fortigate remembers I had another tunnel with same name.

nojeffrey

aaltojuk wrote:

I had the same problem, but when I created the VPN with another name it went through fine. I tried rebooting, but somehow it still remembers my first try. How could I erase the old tunnel? I can't see it in the tunnels menu or anywhere else but somewhere Fortigate remembers I had another tunnel with same name.

This seems to be a caching issue, open Chrome in Incognito mode and it stops reverting back to the old template you tried to create.

nojeffrey

Finally solved this after letting Fortinet support take control of my computer.

Instead of using the Custom template, just choose Cisco, fill in the basics, then modify it to you needs.

ispcolohost

Still run into this endlessly, even on 6.0; so frustrating if you build up a big phase 2 only to have no way to save any of it.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors