Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
uRhaine
New Contributor

vdom migration

Hi,

I have fortigate 1200D (2x HA), it has only one default root vdom. My plan is to activate the multi vdom function, but I have doubts if it can be done without any interruptions or reboots. In cookbok for v6.2 i found information that states:

Multi VDOM mode can be enabled in the GUI or CLI. Enabling it does not require a reboot, but does log you out of the device. The current configuration is assigned to the root VDOM.

f I recall correctly, that wasnt the case on earlier versions? My question is if i have only one root vdom now, after activation of multi vdom will I loose any kind of configuration? I have read that by activating split task vdom it retains 'some' config but not all, i just want to make 100% that this operation i safe to make.

cheers

1 Solution
Philippe_Gagne
Contributor

Hi,

As far I remember, no configuration are lost. The configuration will be displayed under "root" VDOM and from there you will be able to create new VDOM. In my lab I often move from "standalone" to "Multi VDOM" without problem. In fact, take a look in CLI, you'll see all interfaces are related to VDOM "root". 

Regards,

Philippe

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Philippe_Gagne
Contributor

Hi,

As far I remember, no configuration are lost. The configuration will be displayed under "root" VDOM and from there you will be able to create new VDOM. In my lab I often move from "standalone" to "Multi VDOM" without problem. In fact, take a look in CLI, you'll see all interfaces are related to VDOM "root". 

Regards,

Philippe

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

no configuration lost

no interruption of traffic

no reboot

a global and root vdom will be present in cli and GUI for access

Also reverting backward is the same. When enable multi-vdom objects that has mvdom option will be present as required.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Heaven_Knows
New Contributor III

uRhaine wrote:

Hi,

I have fortigate 1200D (2x HA), it has only one default root vdom. My plan is to activate the multi vdom function, but I have doubts if it can be done without any interruptions or reboots. In cookbok for v6.2 i found information that states:

Multi VDOM mode can be enabled in the GUI or CLI. Enabling it does not require a reboot, but does log you out of the device. The current configuration is assigned to the root VDOM.

f I recall correctly, that wasnt the case on earlier versions? My question is if i have only one root vdom now, after activation of multi vdom will I loose any kind of configuration? I have read that by activating split task vdom it retains 'some' config but not all, i just want to make 100% that this operation i safe to make.

cheers

No configuration lost from root vdom after new vdom created. I have created a new vdom on my FGT100D and it was simple. vdom just splits your hardware into multiple virtual devices by group of ports. 

wahxwah
New Contributor

I have the similar plan for setup the new VDOM for my fortigate 201E v6.2.1. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors