Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
luk16
New Contributor

unc shared folder en site to site vpn

Hello,

we have 2 site connected with 2 fortinet 40f site to site ipsec vpn (with shared phrasekey)

the site 1 is on 192.168.1.xxx winth AD DHCP DNS SQL serveur on 192.168.1.2

The site 2 is on 192.168.5.xxxx with only 8 PC

i can ping site 1 to site 2 and site 2 to site one on ip.

i can open folder on \\192.168.1.2\data but i can't on \\server2022\data.

i think it's a DNS error but i can't find

7 REPLIES 7
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Luk

I think it is like this:

• If both sites are same Window domain then there should be no dns resolution issue
  • If different domains then you may configure your local DNS server to forward DNS requests to remote domain when needed

After that you will "probably" need to specify remote domain in hostname when you request access, e.g.: \\server2022.domain2.local\data

AEK
AEK
luk16
New Contributor

we have a domain on site1 winth the serveur2022 ad dhcp dns sql server and we have only 8 pc on workgroup on site 2

AEK

If you have a local DNS server in site2, configure it to forward DNS requests to the remote DNS server for the queries regarding site1's domain. I think this is the best way to do.

If you don't want to do that or of you don't have a DNS server on site2, configure site2's DHCP server to assign to workgroup clients servere2022 as primary DNS, and public DNS server as secondary DNS.

In case you don't want touch all of these and you want a quick and workaround solution, just add the following line in every workgroup host in file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

192 168 1.2    server2022

AEK
AEK
luk16
New Contributor

On the sit 2 the dhcp server and dns server is the 40f fortinet but i don 't find to put the server 2022 on dns primary srv

AEK

Can you share the following output from FG 40F?

show system dns
show system dns-server
AEK
AEK
hbac

Hi @luk16,

So users on site 2 is using FortiGate as DNS server. In that case, you can configure DNS conditional forwarding as suggested by this article: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-DNS-conditional-forwarding/ta-p/196821

Regards, 

luk16
New Contributor

i have tested to change the host file on a site 2 pc and it works, i can open \\serveur2022\datafolders

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors