Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mykelm03
New Contributor

unable to get IP

Hi, newbie here. Bought a 2nd hand 60D for studying. Set all my interface to interface mode. My port 6 is assigned to VLAN 60 with an IP range of 172.16.60.1/29. Whenever I plugin my laptop, I'm not able to get any IP on the said port. Firmware on v6.0.16 build0505 (GA). Can someone help? Thank you in advance.Screenshot from 2023-03-09 06-58-21.pngScreenshot from 2023-03-09 06-57-39.pngScreenshot from 2023-03-09 06-59-47.png

1 Solution
mykelm03
New Contributor

DHCP server is configured on the interface 6. I guess you are right, must need to configure the laptop/or put a switch to support VLAN tagging.

Still a long road for me to learn all this things.

A big thanks to you sir Andy for your answer. Really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AndyNZ
New Contributor III

Hi mykelm03,

I guess you mean you are not getting a DHCP assigned IP address on the laptop?

What you have configured is a VLAN Tagged interface on top of Physical Port 6. You could if you wished add many more VLAN Tagged interfaces to the Physical Port.

Unless you have configured your laptop to support VLAN tagging and set it to to VLAN 60 you wont get an IP address. Until your laptop has that configuration your laptop is trying to connect to the UNTAGGED interface (ie Port 6). You don't appear to have a IP address or DHCP server configured on Port 6 so I wouldn't expect you to receive an IP address.

I'm not sure how much of a newbie you are, but you will also need to add a DNS server for your interfaces (assuming you want to be able to resolve addresses) and define a policy for your interfaces before any traffic will flow to the internet or any other interface.

Hope that helps you a little.

Kind Regards,

Andy.

Andy Bailey, Christchurch, New Zealand
mykelm03
New Contributor

DHCP server is configured on the interface 6. I guess you are right, must need to configure the laptop/or put a switch to support VLAN tagging.

Still a long road for me to learn all this things.

A big thanks to you sir Andy for your answer. Really appreciate it.

AndyNZ
New Contributor III

Hey mykelm03,

Glad that helped you a little.

Just a quick follow up though- the screenshot you shared shows no IP address details (and hence you won’t have DHCP setup either) on Port 6. You only have config showing on VLAN60 (which is separate but sits on top of Port 6). 

Every interface (physical or logical including VLAN interfaces) needs its own settings- including IP address and DHCP server if required.

You may end up with many DHCP servers for multiple virtual and physical interfaces of a complex network. 

That’s the power of these devices- but also does make the learning curve steeper. 

Good luck. 

Andy. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors