Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Randy_Redekopp
New Contributor

translate.google.com bypasses web filters

I was seeing some weird blocking alerts on our network. Turns out one user has a new method trying to bypass the web filtering. He goes to translate.google.com and puts in a URL instead of text. Then he translates it to a language other than english and clicks on that link from the results window. His browser then opens that page without being blocked by FortiGuard. If he tries to link to something on that page, it is then blocked but he can simply browse in the translated site and go by the pictures. I didn' t find any posts relating to this sort of issue when I was searching the forums. Has anyone else run into this? Wondering how to work around it other than blocking the translation URL. And if I did that, I' m sure there are lots of other similar sites so would have to block it by category (assume there is one, haven' t checked that yet). Just wanted to get a discussion going... -Randy-
-Randy-
-Randy-
1 REPLY 1
billp
Contributor

Randy, If you don' t want to block translation sites, you can do the following. . . In the Web Filter profile, you can also select " Rate Images by URL (blocked images will be replaced with blanks)" which works reasonably well for translated sites.

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors