Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sims
New Contributor III

traffic shaping question

Hi,

I want to limit bandwidth  for windows update which is initiated by local LAN computers  

The question is the below policy is ok ?  

(source will be all and destination will be all )

Q2. If I want to use  "shared shaper"  instead of  "reverse shaper" ,What need to be done ,(Just for learning )

Q3 .  In shaper "windowsupdate"  I have  set 10Mbps .

In my question If I use the same shaper  in multiple policies (for example in policy 1 and 2 ) , the 10Mbps will be divided  between policies ?

Thanks

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Q1. you need to put something in those yellow boxes. They're mandatory fields.

Q2. "reverse shaper" is for the opposite direction to the initiation direction. For Windows Updates you probably want to regulate only reverse (download) direction. 

Q3. That's where "Shared" vs. "Per-IP" setting comes in to play. If you choose "Shared" with the same shaper on two shaping-policies, combined amount of traffic is regulated by the numbers you set in the shaper.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Q1. you need to put something in those yellow boxes. They're mandatory fields.

Q2. "reverse shaper" is for the opposite direction to the initiation direction. For Windows Updates you probably want to regulate only reverse (download) direction. 

Q3. That's where "Shared" vs. "Per-IP" setting comes in to play. If you choose "Shared" with the same shaper on two shaping-policies, combined amount of traffic is regulated by the numbers you set in the shaper.

sims
New Contributor III

Hi,

My internet router is single multihomed ( from my single  router to different ISP ) 

each isp providing 50Mbps , so the total 100 Mbps.

vlan 100 is downloading from  ISP1 

and vlan 2000 from ISP2 

So if I want to set the policy for both vlan  how the traffic shaper should be  ?

Thanks

Engineerfathy
New Contributor

Q1 : YES - in this case windows update will be limited on all IPs. Q2 : Shared Shaper for Upload - Reverse shaper for download - Per IP for both. Q3 : there is an option inside the traffic shaper itself called "Applied Shaper" to do this.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors