Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
aguerriero
Contributor II

syslogd override source-ip missing from 7.2

For vdom syslogd destinations the below link states that I can change the syslog source ip address, but the setting is not available in 7.2.4 and 7.2.5 on a 1500D or 1100E.

I have firewalls running 6.4 and the source-ip is an available setting.

screenshot from 6.4

Capture6.4.PNG

Screenshot from 7.2.5

Capture7.2.PNG

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Change-Source-IP-for-SYSLOG/ta-p/230218

13 REPLIES 13
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

hi,

On the 7.2.5 image, could you share the outcome of "show full" instead of the screenshot showing the outcome of "set ?"

Best regards,

Jin

aguerriero

showfull.PNG

jintrah_FTNT

Thanks, I did check on a 1500D device running 7.2.4, and the source-ip option is existing and configurable.

aguerriero

That doesn't make any sense then. 
here is a picture of a 1500D running 7.2.4 where the option is not available. 

grep.PNG

jintrah_FTNT

Right, so it would make sense to check the config in its entirety to know what limits it from giving the source ip option in your case as the option is possible in 7.2.4 on my device running the same version.

I suggest  to open a support case for review.

Best regards,

Jin

aguerriero

it is setting ha-direct enable in the ha settings that removes the ability to configure the source ip. 

6.4 allows setting the source ip with ha direct enabled and it works. Looks like 7.2 changed the behavior.

Thanks.

jintrah_FTNT

Good that you identified the configuration made earlier that limited the source ip option.

Best regards,

Jin

aguerriero

Why would the option be removed from version 7.2 if it works just fine in 6.4? 

jintrah_FTNT

There is no point of keeping that setting in 6.4 when we explicitly configure ha-direct to send logs through the dedicated management interface which is not part of any vdom. And if you remember, even in 6.4 you must have seen this warning when ha-direct is enabled.

When ha-direct is enabled, source ip may not work.
We recommend to unset all log-related, netflow and sflow source ip.
By selecting to continue, all source ip will be unset.
Do you want to continue? (y/n)

So source-ip option is removed and updated in newer releases.

Best regards,

Jin

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors