Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AGMP
New Contributor II

standalone Fortiswitches configure LAG/LACP

Hey everyone,

I have two fortiswitch 224D running 7.2.2 firmware that i want to configure standalone.
Switch 1 uses ports 23/24 for WAN and is connected to switch 2 with fiber.
My workstation is connected to switch 1 using mgmt port.

I created the vlans i need and also created a trunk using the fiber ports however, i seem not to be able to communicate with switch 2.

Since i am obviously doing something wrong but don't know what, could someone point me in the right direction ?

1 Solution
ebilcari

You have to configure a valid GW on the static route configurations on the switch being part of this subnet 172.16.0.x. The gateway device should be able to route the traffic from the switch to the PC you are using to access it.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
ebilcari

You have to configure a valid GW on the static route configurations on the switch being part of this subnet 172.16.0.x. The gateway device should be able to route the traffic from the switch to the PC you are using to access it.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
AGMP
New Contributor II

I was able to fix it by configuring the gateway. Traffic is now going correctly trough both switches.
However, i am not able to connect to the webbased dashboard on the ip address i configured for the VLAN. I can only connect using the MGMT port. 

I did enable Ping, HTTPS and SSL but it still won't work. Also changed my computers LAN IP to the VLAN subnet but without succes. Is there anything else i could try ?

ebilcari

The management port IP is treated as out of band management and as I know will not be routed or switched using the traffic ports.

In order to achieve inbound management you have to configure in Router> Config> Interface [internal], set up an IP and Access protocols. You also need to set a default static route selecting "internal" as Device (Destinationn 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0) and the Gateway.

- Emirjon
AGMP
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply.
I did make the suggested changes. But that did not work. So i probably made a mistake.

In the original setup i am able to ping the second switch which is connected via a trunk.
After i made the changes, i am not able to connect to the dashboard or ping the second switch.

ebilcari

There is the option here to change the internal to not be bound to the physical/mgmt port. The internal port should be part of VLAN 4094 by default and be treated as in-band management, that can pass through the trunk to the other switch as part of VLAN 4094.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/7.2.3/administration-guide/095390/example-configurati...

- Emirjon
AGMP
New Contributor II

I tried the suggested solution but after that i wa not able to connect to the switch at all and had to restore the former config file. Is there any example configuration for this since i seem to have trouble assigning the ip address to the right object.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors