Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bsgroup
New Contributor

ssl-vpn ping host name device and not only ip device

Hi all, I would like ping hostname device when I connect to fortigate with ssl-vpn (forticlient) and not only ip of device.

It is possible? fo example I have a NAS and remotely (forticlient) I can ping its IP address but not its host name. If instead I'm connected to lan where fortigate is installed I can ping its IP address and Hostname

can someone help me?

many thanks in advance

best regards

5 REPLIES 5
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Helo

On FortiGate go to VPN > SSL VPN Settings.

There you will find DNS parameters for VPN clients. You just need to set your corporate DNS server IP as primary DNS server.

AEK
AEK
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @bsgroup,

You can also configure split DNS as per this article: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Split-DNS-support-for-SSL-VPN/ta-p/194766

Regards, 

bsgroup
New Contributor

Just one more question please 

I explain one problem with my situation

FortiGate lan 30.0.0.1-254 and it work as dhcp between 30.0.0.50 and 150

I have a Device with host name MYNAS and static ip 30.0.0.200 gateway 30.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 dns1 30.0.0.1

When I am in office I can ping MYNAS name while in vpn with forti client I cannot also with your suggestion 

I would ask if I forgot something as dns configuration ord dns server configurations in relative pages or I wrong something. Or if all is correct and I need retry your previous suggestions

Maybe I can ping host name of device with different static ip as 10.0.0.xxx or something else? 

Many many thanks in advance

AEK

@bsgroup, if you confirm you can ping MYNAS by IP,  the issue is domain name missing in your request. Try to ping MYNAS.yourdomain.com instead of MYNAS.

You can also set dns suffix (search domain) for your VPN client as yourdomain.com, as suggested by @Rajan_kohli 

AEK
AEK
Rajan_kohli
Staff
Staff

Hi,

It seems like you need to configure dns-suffix in vpn settings along with dns servers.

Please check this article: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Troubleshooting-Tip-DNS-resolution-over-IPsec-SSL-VPN/ta...

Regards

Rajan

Rajan Kohli
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors