Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MisterAG
New Contributor

smtp helo/ehlo domain name DNS check failed

Can anyone point me in the general direction of what causes this error message? smtp helo/ehlo domain name DNS check failed. Starting last night, thousands of legitimate email was being blocked at the Fortigate. I have since disabled antispam protection on the Fortigate, and am now trusting our Barracuda to do the job on its own. Is this the Fortigate checking that the EHLO banner and dns hostname both resolve to the same IP address for the sending mail server?
2 REPLIES 2
discoveryit
New Contributor

disable Return e-mail DNS check and HELO DNS lookup in the Email Filtering in your protection profiles.
FCNSP
FCNSP
MisterAG
New Contributor

Tried that. In fact, I disabled every SMTP option in the appropriate protection profile, and it was still blocking! I ended up rebuilding the protection profile from scratch, and applying the new one. Things are curiously working now. I' m going through every setting to make sure that the two protection profiles are identical.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors