Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Stefano_iso
New Contributor

slow vxlan speed over ipsec

Hi,

we have speed problem on vxlan over ipsec connection between FGT100F and FGT60F. The tunnel works fine and the traffic is ok but the speed of a simple test with iperf is about only 2MB/s. (both sites have 1Gb/s symmetrical IPS connection). Any suggestions?

Thanks

Stefano

15 REPLIES 15
gfleming
Staff
Staff

What is the result of the iPerf test over the 1Gb/s links without IPsec/VXLan in the mix? In other words are you sure this is a VXLAN issue?

Also what are your Iperf settings—sometimes base/default settings do not give you the best speeds. Such as using UDP vs TCP, window sizes, parallel threads, etc...

Cheers,
Graham
Stefano_iso
New Contributor

The tests performed are the following:
iperf tests from windows to windows on vxlan over ipsec via iperf with various windows sizes are always no higher than 15-20 Mbits/sec.

iperf tests from fortigate console (via "diagnose traffictest run" therefore excluding vxlan/ipsec) to the same windows pc on the other side gives the following results:
with default settings no more than 30 Mbits/sec , with various windows sizes (until 8192k) I can get to 330Mbits/sec.

Thanks

Stefano

aionescu
Staff
Staff

Hi @Stefano_iso ,

Can you share a .pcap of the traffic captured on both clients? 

What is the MTU of the tunnel? 

Stefano_iso
New Contributor

Hi, aionescu,

i share print screen of the test:

pcap over the vxlan

pcap_vxlanpcap_vxlan

diagnose traffic test over wan from fortigate with different windows size

nperf_Test_on_fortigatenperf_Test_on_fortigate

pcap of diag traffic from fortigate with windows size 2048k

pcap_size_2048pcap_size_2048

pcap of diag traffic from fortigate with default

pcap_default_settingpcap_default_setting

the MTU of tunnel is : SA: ref=6 options=10226 type=00 soft=0 mtu=1438

the MTU of software switch of vxlan is 1450

thanks,

Stefano

gfleming

What does the CPU look like on the 60F when you are transferring data over VXLAN? is utilization high?

Cheers,
Graham
Stefano_iso
New Contributor

I tried with "diag traffictest" to PC on hardware interface but I get the same low result.
and as you have seen "diag traffictest" to the same pc on software switch is capable of getting the desired results via windows size. ( vxlan is encapsulated on Loopback interface ).

Stefano

aionescu
Staff
Staff

@Stefano_iso hard to tell just from this information. What is the npu flag of the tunnel?

You can find with the command "diagnose vpn tunnel list"

Stefano_iso

Hi @aionescu , 

the flag of vpn tunnel on each firewall is "npu_flag=03" and the MTU is "SA: ref=6 options=10226 type=00 soft=0 mtu=1438".

The cpu of each firewall when i run some tests with iperf stays around 1-2% on each side.

Stefano

Stefano_iso
New Contributor

Hi ,

i'm back to this problem. I ran further tests excluding the vxlan so now we have simple ipsec tunnel ( created with vpn sdwan wizard) but I still get the same speed (slow). I've tried various MTU/MSS configurations with no improve. Any suggestions on further tests I could do? Thanks,

Stefano

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors