Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MickBall
New Contributor

site to site VPN using WiFi

could someone please advise if this is possible with a fortinet product.

I currently have Nortel contivity VPN-netgear wifi to netgear wifi-Nortel vpn within a warehouse.

I would like to replace all products with an all in one solution, so the VPN client on the device establishes a tunnel across the wifi and terminates on the wifi device at the other end.

a bit odd maybe but we cannot rely  on WPA2 for security.

I have looked into Linksys, netgear etc. but site to site vpn only doable over LAN or ADSL WAN.

Many thanks in advance....

2 Solutions
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don't quite get why you need the VPN part. If it's terminated at the wifi device on the other end, I don't get why regular routing over wifi + policies to control access wouldn't work. But at least for the wifi part, if you want to use Fortinet product, you can use two FortiWiFis, one side is an access point and the other side is "FortiWiFi as a WiFi client", then if you need to have a VPN you can set it up between them as a site-to-site vpn. But again I don't know why needed.

https://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-wireless-54/client_mode.htm

View solution in original post

GusTech

I stopped delivering bad FortiWifi several years ago.

Fortigate - Unifi AP - Unifi AP - Fortigate. You can then setup vpn between the lan interfaces connected to unifi

Fortigate <3

View solution in original post

Fortigate <3
3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don't quite get why you need the VPN part. If it's terminated at the wifi device on the other end, I don't get why regular routing over wifi + policies to control access wouldn't work. But at least for the wifi part, if you want to use Fortinet product, you can use two FortiWiFis, one side is an access point and the other side is "FortiWiFi as a WiFi client", then if you need to have a VPN you can set it up between them as a site-to-site vpn. But again I don't know why needed.

https://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-wireless-54/client_mode.htm

GusTech

I stopped delivering bad FortiWifi several years ago.

Fortigate - Unifi AP - Unifi AP - Fortigate. You can then setup vpn between the lan interfaces connected to unifi

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
MickBall

Toshi, many thanks for you reply and link.

yes, of course this will work without the additional VPN tunnel but the current corporate policy states that no private network traffic is allowed to traverse any wifi connections without an additional VPN tunnel, the fortiwifi option will work fine so thanks again.

Bruz, thanks for the info but need to look for an all in one solution, we currently have a similar solution to your suggestion in place...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors