Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pbarbieri
Contributor

set multicast-forward enable

Hello,

what is the effect to set:

config system settings
set multicast-forward enable

if at the same time I set PIM multicast routing :

config router multicast

set multicast-routing enable

config interface

edit "RCC_LAN"

set pim-mode dense-mode

4 REPLIES 4
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

These two functions should not take place at the same time. Multicast forwarding should be enabled when the FortiGate is in NAT mode and you want to forward multicast packets between multicast routers and receivers. However, this function should not be enabled when the FortiGate itself is operating as a multicast router, or has an applicable routing protocol that uses multicast.

best regards,

Jin

pbarbieri

Thank you Jin for your reply!,

I know that have no sense to enable both , but I have a an issue with a group of  users PIM enabled connected  on the network and  I prefer to let them work in forwarding, and at the same  another group of users where the PIM dense mode is mandatory. I wonder if I enable both , I am sure that PIM enabled users will not work in the properly manner, but I would like to know if I enable multicast forwarding the multicast traffic flow independently from the PIM routing protocol . Otherwise I should use different VDOM for the different group of user and set different multicast mode for each (one pim mode and one forwarding mode) , but really I dont know if this is possible and I dont know how to do.

jintrah_FTNT

why not enable routing for all groups?

best regards,

Jin

pbarbieri

Intend multicast routing?  for one group PIM is mandatory, for the other the  topology  create a lot of issue with PIM due to RPF check fail due to packet with incoming interface wrong and some  messages are drop .

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors