Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

repeated emails

One of my customers has a fortimail in place and now they recieve duplicate emails... not just two or three, at times the same e-mail will show up 20 times... all with the same time stamp and header infomration. this problem started ever since i put the fortimail in place.. anyone else come across this issue?
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Which build they use ? It could be related to sending behavior of the sending MTA or sending client. After receiving End of Message (EOM), which is CRLF.CRLF, from the sending part, FortiMail starts content scanning the whole email, it might take up to 4 minutes to ack the EOM to the sending party. According to RFC2821, the sending MTA should set this EOM ack timeout value to be at least 5 minutes, according to RFC2821. See below excerpt from RFC 2821: DATA Termination: 10 minutes. This is while awaiting the " 250 OK" reply. When the receiver gets the final period terminating the message data, it typically performs processing to deliver the message to a user mailbox. A spurious timeout at this point would be very wasteful and would typically result in delivery of multiple copies of the message, since it has been successfully sent and the server has accepted responsibility for delivery. See section 6.1 for additional discussion.
Not applicable

Hi! I have same issue since I updated Fortimail to 2.80 build190 firmware. It is specially critical with incoming Hotmail mails, 10 or 20 incoming mails for each, and sender finally receives a " Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" message!!!!!
Not applicable

I' m seeing this same issue with a client also. I' ll post my workaround / fix once I have it in place.
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

There have been posts about similar situations as this in the past. I believe it has something to do with a timeout setting. The sender doesn' t recieve confirmation in time, so they resend the same message over, and over, and. . . If you look back in the achives about 6-8 months, you should see the solution.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors