Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
UnDocumented
New Contributor

recommend me a fortigate FW

hi,

i'm deciding to redesign my server room and structures,

unfortunately there is no UTM in my network and i need your recommendation to choose a model.

there is a flat network without VLan (all switch are unmanageable)

i use of 12 Physical Windows Servers

and 100 Clients (win XP and 7)

and have 5 megabits internet (avg throughput is 300-400 KB)

and there is 1 E1 line connected to our cisco router (1-1.5 megabits)

which model is suitable for this?

Thnx in Advance

7 REPLIES 7
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Some questions before I can give a recommendation

1. This location has how many subnets?

2. If it has multiple subnets, are you going to perform UTM between them?

I assume, based on location size, that you have switches already deployed etc. If it is a flat network you won't need much as you can size based on the bandwidth you will use going out to the internet (which would make a 60/61E a good fit for you).

If you DO have multiple subnets and you are wanting to do UTM between them, depending on the amount of traffic traversing those links you would look at sizing based on that.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
UnDocumented

MikePruett wrote:

Some questions before I can give a recommendation

1. This location has how many subnets?

2. If it has multiple subnets, are you going to perform UTM between them?

I assume, based on location size, that you have switches already deployed etc. If it is a flat network you won't need much as you can size based on the bandwidth you will use going out to the internet (which would make a 60/61E a good fit for you).

If you DO have multiple subnets and you are wanting to do UTM between them, depending on the amount of traffic traversing those links you would look at sizing based on that.

Thanks Mike for your reply

there is only one subnet (Class c : 192.168.0.0)

and i don't think to deploy VLan as soon

i want to use UTM in edge and some servers will be in DMZ

other will keep in LAN

what is your idea about 200D?

Regards

UnDocumented
New Contributor

Thanks all

how can measured input / throughput Packet Data fromLAN to firewall?

based on what parameters need to choose a models?

THNX

bmekler
New Contributor III

200D/200E is overkill for your listed requirements, you'll pay a fortune in fortiguard renewals as well. Just get a 60E/61E.

ede_pfau

If you are hosting a DMZ with public servers then you have at least 2 subnets. So MikePruett's recommendations apply.

Still, LAN to DMZ traffic usually isn't going to be huge. The 60E is capable of 2.5 Gbps throughput at max and some substantial UTM throughput as well, for a dime and a nickel. This is independent of the packet size (mostly) as this traffic is ASIC accelerated.

And forget about VLANs - VLAN or not, tagging won't cost you anything in performance.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
UnDocumented

ede_pfau wrote:

If you are hosting a DMZ with public servers then you have at least 2 subnets. So MikePruett's recommendations apply.

Still, LAN to DMZ traffic usually isn't going to be huge. The 60E is capable of 2.5 Gbps throughput at max and some substantial UTM throughput as well, for a dime and a nickel. This is independent of the packet size (mostly) as this traffic is ASIC accelerated.

And forget about VLANs - VLAN or not, tagging won't cost you anything in performance.

Thanks ede :)

i plan to publishe some services such as IIS & Citrix, but they are a few clients use this services

almost 10-20 and in peek time maybe 30, concurrent connection

10 for Citrix server and 20 for IIS (iis is for status viewing not report)

MikePruett

Yeah, I would say a 60/61E would suit you just fine then. Most of your UTM is going to be applied on the web surfing traffic inside going out. The inside to DMZ traffic won't be as high (bandwidth wise) as you probably think so that won't be an issue.

That being said the 60/61E models are able to do a very nice amount of NGFW throughput (200+ megabits if I'm not mistaken off the top of my head) so it should be more than enough. All in all you will get a powerful product with minimum cost. A 200D would be fun but WAY overkill....that and they don't support VXLan from what I have seen (not that your environment would ever need it in it's current deployment)

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors