Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BusinessUser
Contributor

"hardware switch" with 2 interfaces has ping losses

There was a change in firewall model.

Initially there were no issues.

After the firewall model change, the "hardware switch" which has 2 interfaces start experiencing ping loss issues.

What can be the reason behind this and how to solve?

3 REPLIES 3
FredPaul
New Contributor III

Hi,

Not sure I understand what you're asking. Did you replace your firewall model with a different model (for example from 100E to 100F) and just copied the configuration from the old device to the new one? If so, I'd set up the new box from scratch rather than copying the config as copying the config from one hardware model to another doesn't necessarily work. Also, if there is a firmware difference that will most likely cause issues too. If that doesn't solve the issue I'd raise a support ticket, and expect to run an HQIP test.

-Fredrik
-Fredrik
abarushka

Hello,

I would like to add (to Frederik comment) whether there were packet drops on NICs and CPU usage spike. Moreover, did you have a chance to sniff traffic?

FortiGate
BusinessUser

Did you replace your firewall model with a different model (for example from 100E to 100F) and just copied the configuration from the old device to the new one?

Answer is yes. Unfortunately there seems to be some kind of loop even after STP is enabled. 

HQIP test is to check for corrupt firmware?

From a technical prespective is there any difference between a "software switch" and a "hardware switch"?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors