Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nordik24
New Contributor II

ping check wan failover

Hi

i have wan1 as my primary interface. I want to add a check that will set the interface down if theres any problem with it reaching internet. In that case i want wan2 to be the primary one.

How do i configure a check that will set wan1 in admin down?

thanks

1 Solution
brycemd
Contributor II

It's CLI only beyond 5.2

config system link-monitor

edit 1

set srcintf wan1

set server 8.8.8.8 - or whatever you want to constantly ping

If it fails it removes the route so your wan2 route will become the default. There are other values to define if you want, but i believe the above is the minimum to get it working.

http://help.fortinet.com/cli/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortiOS-cli-ref-54/config/system/link-monit...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
luckysantiago
New Contributor

gateway-ip is the gateway of the ISP right? is it required for this link-monitor or it can stay on 0.0.0.0 since i already have gateway defined on static route.  thanks!

luckysantiago
New Contributor

Just to clarify, IP Address of the wan interface or the gateway of the wan isp?

luckysantiago

I did this and failover works but, when the primary wan goes up it doesn't automatically revert back to primary and stays on backup link/wan.

But is can see on the routing monitor that primary goes back to route as well on the "get router info routing-table all" wan1 is set as default candidate

luckysantiago

This is working fine now,  can i add third ISP?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

Indeed FGT does revert the routing etc but it doesn't revert existing sessions. So your traffic will still go over wan2 until those sessions expire (or you clear them manually). There is some thread on this issue somewhere here...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors