Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sims
New Contributor III

no of session

Hi,

The above picture shows total concurrent session 1416  and total 1367

what does it mean .

What if  Total  reach  at 1416  ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Nicholas_Doropoulos
Contributor

Could you please confirm for us where you got the screenshot from?

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3
Nicholas_Doropoulos

If the screenshot is taken from the FortiView >> All Sessions section then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Concurrent sessions means the number of connections in the connection table at the same time while the Total value is most likely the number of sessions currently displayed. Concurrent sessions do not represent the total number of connections your Fortigate can support since that would be within the region of tens of thousands of connections.

I hope that helps.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I'd rather deduct from the screenshot that 49 sessions which already were created are not currently displayed in the tables - probably the 'total sessions' is more current. Collecting the table contents would take longer than just fetching this one count. If so, the table display will always lag a bit behind the current number of sessions.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Nicholas_Doropoulos

True, I also know that hardware acceleration, if enabled, can also lead to an inaccurate session table.

darwin_FTNT

The cmdb (config management daemon) uses the api to list session and count, e.g., diag sys session list.  Since the CLI (cmd line intferface) api is limited to listing and has no real-time callback from kernel, the GUI module also has the same limitation.  The GUI exposes a subset of the functions in CLI, e.g., type tree command to see the whole list.  So commands possible in GUI can also be done in CLI.  The GUI is layered on top of the cmdb/cli API interface in dependency.  Also the actual sessions list could be in 100,000+ and some sessions are ephemeral/temporary so the number shown are changing depending on traffic.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors