Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
julianhaines
New Contributor II

migrate my SSL full tunnel VPN from using an Address IP List

Good day, I am trying to migrate my SSL full tunnel VPN from using an Address IP List (10.0.3.0/21) to issue IPs to VPN users to using an external Microsoft DHCP server, I need to do this as the FortiGate can’t add DNS records for VPN users as it does not support this.

I have set up a new scope on the Microsoft DHCP server 10.0.16.0/21 as shown in the screenshot, my local subnet is 10.0.0.0/21, I can’t use the existing Subnet as it conflicts with the DHCP server.

The issue I am facing is that when I connect to the SSL VPN once I have migrated, I am unable to access any devices on the 10.0.0.0/21 subnet, I updated the Firewall policies to the new Subnet and updated the VPN settings following the Fortigate guide here https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-SSL-VPN-with-external-DHCP-Server/ta-p/215....

I noticed that when connected to the SSL VPN the client gets two IP’s for example in the screenshot on my test device I got 10.0.16.5 as my IP and 10.0.16.6 as the Gateway which I don’t understand if the SSL VPN assigns 10.0.16.6 as my gateway what should I set the gateway to in the Microsoft DHCP server?

Also, as I am using a Subnet outside of the local Subnet, I am not sure if I need to add any routing. I have tried to add a Static route for the SSL.root interface but not sure what the Destination or Gateway IPs would be because of the Gateway 10.0.16.6 issued to the client above.

DHCP Network Diagram.png

2 REPLIES 2
rowanlo2
Visitor

You create a Virtual IP that NATs TCP 443 (or your preferred port) to the loopback interface. Create a firewall policy from WAN to the loopback interface, and set your preferred rules on it. Then you switch the interface in the SSL-VPN Settings, and it should work.

julianhaines

Hi, thanks for the information, so something like below? what ip would I use for the virtual IP "Mapped From"? does it need to be an ip from the internal subnet 10.0.0.0/21?

Virtual IP
Name: VPN Virtual IP
Interface: VPN DHCP LOOP
Mapped From: 10.0.16.1:443 ?? internal IP?
Mapped To: 10.0.16.2:443 (VPN DHCP LOOP IP)

Firewall Policy
Incoming: ssl.root
Outgoing: VPN DHCP LOOP
Destination: all
Service: all
NAT: Enable

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors