Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Timothy_DeSantis
New Contributor

many clients on one AP

Hello All, I have four 221B WAPs in a car dealership garage controlled by a fortiwifi80CM firmware 5.0.3 and the WAPs are running v5 build 039. I have many clients that are bunching on one AP and it does not seem to be load balancing the clients. I have all Radio Resource and AP handoff settings plus the auto power settings as well. What settings need to be set to get the clients to spread out more?
3 REPLIES 3
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

How many wireless clients are on the " bunched" AP? The default setting for station threshold is 30 meaning that it won' t try steering clients away to other APs until it hits 30. You can try tweaking some of the CLI settings: #config wireless-controller wtp-profile #edit 221_profile <---- change this to the profile you are using #set handoff-rsi <20-30> #set handoff-sta-threshold <5-35> #end
Timothy_DeSantis
New Contributor

15 on the 2.4 radio and 5 on the 5Ghz radio. I guess it' s not too much after all. How many clients can this model handle at once? What logic does the controller use to put a client on a given WAP? Strongest signal?
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

It can handle more than 30 however above that you' ll be wanting to get them handed off to other APs to prevent performance degradation. It' s always the choice of the wireless client to join or leave an AP so AP/band handoff really just involves ignoring some join requests from the client in the hopes it will join the 5GHz band or another AP
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors