Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
80211WiGuy
New Contributor III

mDNS Gateway / Service Discovery with caching?

Does anyone know if Fortinet has any plans to properly support mDNS service discovery across networks/vlans with proper filtering and caching like many other competitors out there?  I know the current solution is to enable multicast routing but I really think this should be a more formal feature implementation with a caching and reply function much like an Application Layer Gateway implementation.  So many other vendors like Cisco have supported this for nearly a decade.  mDNS is here to stay and I think FortiGates should do a better job of making this an easy feature to turn on and control which would greatly improve functionality and security of customer office networks.

4 REPLIES 4
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello 80211WiGuy,

Thanks for posting on the Fortinet Community Forum.

I will seek assistance in order to answer your question right in this thread.

Kindest regards,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
Jean-Philippe_P

Hi again 80211WiGuy,

Thanks for your patience, this is a knowledge that our technical team does not have. You need to contact your Fortinet Sales Representative for feature requests instead.

Kindest regards,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
80211WiGuy
New Contributor III

Thanks JP, I've shared this thread with my Sales Engineer.

For reference, I'm comparing the current multicast routing solution to Cisco's mDNS Service discovery / Gateway function.
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dns/configuration/15-e/dns-serv-disc-gtw.html

This allows caching and responding to mDNS requests on behalf of things like printers and filters out unwanted devices.

80211WiGuy

I've found something that might be useful but couldnt find anything further than the CLI reference.  Can anybody link articles that further describe this feature?  Fingers crossed that it works not just with WiFi but across regular wired VLANs also.

https://docs2.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.9/cli-reference/171620/config-wireless-controller-...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors