Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
van_sta
New Contributor III

ip change domain name

hello, Reviewing the forti logs, I see traffic from the last 7 days from an IP whose domain is example.com, but 2 days later, reviewing the logs from the last 7 days, the same IP again, now the domain became otrodominiodiferente.com, even the Logs from previous days changed for the new domain. Why does this happen? How can I really know what web pages that person looks at?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @van_sta,

What is the IP address are you referring to? You can try to resolve those domain names to see if the IP address is correct. 

Regards, 

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @van_sta

In some cases this can be normal behavior because many IP addresses on Internet are associated to multiple domain names.

AEK
AEK
van_sta
New Contributor III

the Ip  is: 

3.160.119.55 (download.jetbrains.com) today

3.160.119.55 (cmd.osano.com) this morning ( I'm not sure it started exactly with cmd. It was something very similar, but ends with osano.com)

3.160.119.55 (cdn.argentiniandomain.com.ar) last week the domain was a page from argentina.

With nslookup I get:

Address: 1.1.1.1

Name: server-3-160-119-55.eze50.r.cloudfront.net
Address: 3.160.119.55

smaruvala
Staff
Staff

Hi,

- The data of "dstname" is obtained by a reverse DNS query for the IP address of "dstip", against the DNS servers configured under 'config system dns'. 

- Check what DNS server is configured under the device configuration and you can check the PTR record for the IP address.

Reagrds,

Shiva

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors