Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
healthy-cucumber
New Contributor

intervlan communication

Hi folks, 

I have a setup at home with a FG40F firewall and a 124F fortiswitch.

I have 3 vlans in my network, and my switch is connected to my FG with fortilink. 

Since the new subnets (and vlans ofc) my connectio to the SMB server dropped down to 500Mbit/s. 

Is there any option to skip the traffic to FG while i want to reach another subnets devices? 

eg.: 

I have an SMB server in vlan 10

And my workstations in vlan 20

I have no clue how could i achive this, i used mikrotik devices before fortinet. 

7 REPLIES 7
Cealdyn
New Contributor

FG-40F has 5Gbps FW throughput so that should not be a problem. What kind of of policies / theat protection are you running between those networks?

healthy-cucumber

There is no threat protection turned on the policies and i have only 2 configured on these vlans, 

Vlan 10 traffic to vlan 20, all protocol enable and vice versa. No NAT, no logging.

Cealdyn

And this problem doesn't occur if you move this workstation in same subnet/VLAN as SMB server? Just to make sure it's not something to do with workstation or server itself, even if it has been working before when you had Mikrotik devices.

healthy-cucumber

If they were in the same subnet (we didn't have any vlans before) everything worked fine, 8-900Mbit/s writing speed 

nathan_h
Staff
Staff

What is your topology between Fortigate and FortiSwitch?

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/7.0.8/devices-managed-by-fortios/617516/determining-t...

Nathan
FCP-NS, FCP-PCS, FCP-SO, FCSS-NS, FCSS-PCS, FCSS-SASE
healthy-cucumber

Daisy chained FW switches, connected via fortilink and managed by the Fortigate.

FG

|

SW

/          \

Workstation     SW

\ 

SMB server

nathan_h
Staff
Staff

While doing file transfer, check the switchport utilization by the command below. Check the switchport connected to Workstation, Fortigate, Switch to Switch and Switch to SMB Server.

diagnose switch physical-ports linerate <switch port#>

Nathan
FCP-NS, FCP-PCS, FCP-SO, FCSS-NS, FCSS-PCS, FCSS-SASE
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors