Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
koli
New Contributor

iPhone connected but no Internet Access

Hi Forti People, I am a new member of Fortinet Family and it is great device Fortiwifi 60D, but I need your help. I created my WIFI SSID and computer and for example Apple TV are just coming fine in the Internet but my iPhone does not. Interesting is when I use default "fortinet" connection iPhone can access the Internet. All other LAN connected devices have their own subnet and works just fine. Only iPhone 7 connects but no access to the Internet. I read many posts but I still haven't figured it out how to solve this problem. Please help. Thanks!

1 Solution
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

A laundry list of possible troubleshooting steps:

[ul]
  • Confirm via "Monitor->WiFi Client Monitor" that the device(s) in question are able to connect then confirm they are receiving a valid IPs.
  • Confirmed the fgt is hand out proper IP address info - Check the wifi (e.g. fortinet) interface to see the proper IP/subnet mask/gateway address, DNS info is correct. 
  • From the "Monitor->DHCP Monitor" section confirm you can see the device(s)'s IP address.
  • From the CLI see if you can ping the device(s)' IP.  Likewise from the device - there should be some simple ping tools for pinging the fgt's IP.
  • On the wifi (e.g. "fortinet") interface, enable "Device Detection" then check "User & Device->Device Inventory" to see if the fgt can detect the device.
  • In FortiView. under "Sources" locate the device(s) in question, right-click on one and choose "Drill down to details" - here you have a lot of options to see if the device(s) is getting blocked for some reason.[/ul]

And of course, there is the "catch-all simple fix" - telling the device to "forget this network" then rescan for it, join it and enter new password.

• NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
    7 REPLIES 7
    Not applicable

Hi Koli!

This is not the right forum for Secure Access questions, because this is for FortiADC forum. Your topic is related to Secure Access and it is part of FortiGate functionalities, so maybe you can find a more suitable forum for your question.

Regarding your issue, have you tried following this video on ho to configure Secure Access using FortiGate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYlr33NOBY

There are many more videos in YouTube depending on your FortiOS version, but the workflow is very similar.

Make sure:

- You've created an SSID

- You've created a VLAN for wireless traffic

- You've assigned the VLAN to FortiSwitch ports where APs are being connected

- You've created a firewall policy to allow traffic from your wireless VLAN to the Internet

Hope it helps.

Regards

koli
    New Contributor

Hi Barak, thanks for your answer. 

Everything You said I actually have already done.

What's confusing here is the fact that other wireless devices - laptop and apple tv are just working fine on the same SSID. 

On the other hand, default "fortinet" WLAN connection works just fine - straight after factory reset and WAN configuration. That's it. 

It is only the lack of knowledge :(

Thank You and hope I figure it out these days.

Dave_Hall
    Honored Contributor

A laundry list of possible troubleshooting steps:

[ul]
  • Confirm via "Monitor->WiFi Client Monitor" that the device(s) in question are able to connect then confirm they are receiving a valid IPs.
  • Confirmed the fgt is hand out proper IP address info - Check the wifi (e.g. fortinet) interface to see the proper IP/subnet mask/gateway address, DNS info is correct. 
  • From the "Monitor->DHCP Monitor" section confirm you can see the device(s)'s IP address.
  • From the CLI see if you can ping the device(s)' IP.  Likewise from the device - there should be some simple ping tools for pinging the fgt's IP.
  • On the wifi (e.g. "fortinet") interface, enable "Device Detection" then check "User & Device->Device Inventory" to see if the fgt can detect the device.
  • In FortiView. under "Sources" locate the device(s) in question, right-click on one and choose "Drill down to details" - here you have a lot of options to see if the device(s) is getting blocked for some reason.[/ul]

And of course, there is the "catch-all simple fix" - telling the device to "forget this network" then rescan for it, join it and enter new password.

• NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
    sw2090
    Honored Contributor

Annother thing could be the "I need to check if I have internet access" thing. Many mobile devices like cellphones do that when they connect to a wlan. THey want to access a specific url to check their internet access. If that fails they consider themselves as offline (even if they aren't).

If you use UTM like URL-Filter and/or Webfilter check that those are not blocked.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
    lawrence

Hello, you could have a try these following methods to get your problem resolved.

1. Force restart iPhone.

2. Toggle Airplane Mode on and off.

3. Reset network settings. Settings > General > Reset.

4. To fix iPhone network issue, try to fix IOS system without data loss.

Wordgamer22
    New Contributor

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this worked Wi-Fi on your iPhone, but you can solve the issue with the following steps:-

1. Restart Your iPhone:- Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Press and hold the power button until the slider appears, then slide it to power off. Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears to turn your iPhone back on.

2. Toggle Wi-Fi Off and On:- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and toggle the switch off, then wait a few seconds and toggle it back on. This can help refresh the Wi-Fi connection.

3. Forget and Reconnect to the Wi-Fi Network:- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap on the Wi-Fi network you're trying to connect to, then tap "Forget This Network." Afterward, select the network again from the list and enter the password to reconnect.

4. Restart Your Router:- Sometimes, the issue might be with your Wi-Fi router rather than your iPhone. Try restarting your router by unplugging it from power, waiting for about 30 seconds, then plugging it back in. Wait for the router to fully reboot, then try connecting your iPhone to Wi-Fi again.

5. Reset Network Settings:- Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Follow for energetic solution below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30rrr_1kAfM&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

karalinda
    New Contributor

iPhone is Connected to Wi-Fi, but the Internet is not working · Solution  Reboot iPhone and Wi-Fi Router · How to Restart iPhone · Solution  If you're connected to a Wi-Fi network but you can't get online, try to use your Wi-Fi network   Slope unblocked  on other devices. If you can't get online using your other devices, there might be a service outage. Call your cable company or internet provider for help. Try connecting to a Wi-Fi network in a different location.Wi-Fi on your device. Make sure the toggle next to Wi-Fi is turned On. If the Wi-Fi toggle is turned on, turn it off and then turn it back on again.

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors