Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AntonyChen
New Contributor III

how to register an old fortigate device

Dear Everyone

I recently bought and old fortigate 61E on ebay, i capture the serial number and the image of the product and sent to customer service to ask for device transfer, but they said that they do not support product that not bought from authorized seller, I also contact the email of the pre owner and he said that i already remove the device from his account and i have to factory reset the fortigate and register it to another account. But this does not seem to help
Anyone here who has experience with this, will i be able to register the device after the old owner removes it from his account?
What is the best way to deal with this trouble?
Thanks

2 Solutions
AntonyChen

Hi brother

Does the pre-owner have to access my device to transfer this or he just do this on his fortinet account?  I gave him the firewall admin information and he may not want to logon to my device for some reason.

Thanks

View solution in original post

ozkanaltas

Hi @AntonyChen ,

He needs to do this action on your device. You can do this action with remote control programs (Anydesk, Teamviewer, etc..). He enters his password to the device after that he can change his password. 

Or you can request that he can create a customer services ticket to Fortinet about moving this device. Probably he will say I already removed this device from my account. You can say can we just try. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW

View solution in original post

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @AntonyChen ,

Actually, the former owner of this device cannot delete the device from his account on his own. Could it be that he only decommissioned the device from his account? When you decommission, it is not deleted from your account, it just ceases to appear among the assets.

if you have contact with the old owner of Fortigate, you can follow this document.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.5/administration-guide/388078/transfer-a-device-to-...

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
AntonyChen

Hi brother

Does the pre-owner have to access my device to transfer this or he just do this on his fortinet account?  I gave him the firewall admin information and he may not want to logon to my device for some reason.

Thanks

ozkanaltas

Hi @AntonyChen ,

He needs to do this action on your device. You can do this action with remote control programs (Anydesk, Teamviewer, etc..). He enters his password to the device after that he can change his password. 

Or you can request that he can create a customer services ticket to Fortinet about moving this device. Probably he will say I already removed this device from my account. You can say can we just try. 

Heaven_Knows

HI @ozkanaltas  
Today i logon the firewall ands the decive is not bind to pre owner account anymore
I have to re-resgister the device with my account, it is ok, but the fortiguard license of the device has been removed and now the device is in unlicensed status
How to deal with this case? Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors