Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

forward mail to another mail server (mail server mode)

need u' r support for my case problem here the details theres are 2 mail server exchange mail server & fortimail mail server. example the domain is xxx.com mail box user1@xxx.com is in exchange server user2@xxx.com is in fortimail server the issue is user1 send mail to user2 can succesfully relay it but when the user2 reply there some message error message Message not sent! 554 550 5.1.1 <user1@xxx.com>... User unknown i think the issue it' s cause the fortimail cannot forward it to exchange, like exchange did. are there some setting that can make fortimail forward the mail where the mail box it' s on the other mail server but in same domain thank' s Best Regard' s Riski lana
4 REPLIES 4
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi, do you have the same xxx.com domain defined in both servers? (fortimail server mode and exchange) how do you expect do not have issues with such setup?

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Not applicable

yes that' s right we want to implement one domain in 2 mail sever, one are exchange & the other is Fortimail as a server to, so the problem are when a user from fortimail want to send mail to exchange can' t relay it, cause fortimail think they dont' t have a list of user in exchange. i think the common feature in other mail server it' s like to forward mail that linux & exchange can do it, but in fortimail there is no feature like that Thank' s
abelio

i think the common feature in other mail server it' s like to forward mail that linux & exchange can do it,
Not completely true, If one domain is defined as LOCAL to a linux box, and you want to NOT manage it as local, it' s not a straightforward setup for most MTA' s If you want define 2 servers serving a same domain with i.e. different MX priorities, that' s another thing: lower MX priorities servers must only accept mails for that domain, without define domain as local. If your both servers have same MX, both could be mail frontends for that domain, but that it' s not related with backend or with where you define the domain as local. sorry, i cannot understand your setup and i cannot help good luck

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
FortiRack_Eric
New Contributor III

the answer is quite simple. fortimail in server mode will not relay managed domains to another mailserver hence the name server mode.

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors