Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Toccamonium
New Contributor

extreme slow internet connection when Forticlient is active on macOS 10.12.6

Hi Fortinet Team, We are using your cool program Forticlient to have an secure tunnel to our customer repository for checking in stuff in gitlab. The problem is that 2 of us have an speed issue when having Forticlient active. That means, as soon as we logged in, the internet connection gets extremley slow, calling websites is actually impossible. We can committ and push, but nothing more. The IT department told us, that they using this kind of software and process with over 30 coworkers without greater problems. Me and my partner are working on a new Macbook pro (Feb 2017) with latest version of macOS Sierra (10.12.6) and also with the latest Forticlient Software (5.6). I tested the software also on my Windows notebook. The connection speed is also going down but its possible to surf through the net. So this might be a problem with our Macbooks?! Do you have any suggestion what we can try to fix this issue? Thanks indeed, best regards Florian 

1 Solution
YvesCa
New Contributor III

Hi Florian,

ok ! :)

Forticlient is the VPN client to connect to the Fortient Firewall called FortiGate.

This FortiGate has an OS called FortiOS.

You need to know this for the compatibility.

Ask to your administrator.

Yves

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
YvesCa
New Contributor III

Hi Florian,

You should not have the latest version of the Forticlient but the correct version, the one that is compatible with the version of your FortiGate. Look at the compatibility list of the release note of the version of your fortigate.

I got exactly same problem with mac OS and resolved it with downgrade of the Forticlient version.

Yves

Toccamonium

Hi Yves,

Thanks for your quick answer. Unfortunately I'm not really an expert with all this kind of technique. I'm using this because we have to access our git repository over secure tunnel. So what does that mean exactly I have to look at the compability between FortiGate und Client? I just installed the FortiClient, looking for FortiGate mac OS doesn't find anything? I also checked for older versions but didn't find them originally on a fortinet web page. Any suggestions or link? Thx!

Florian

YvesCa
New Contributor III

Hi Florian (ou bonjour !) My apologies. That I say is good for the minimum version. For example, for FortiOS 5.4.4, the minimum version of the FortiClient is 5.4.1. Then, for specifical versions of FortiOS some versions of FortiClient bugs.

For me FortiOS 5.4.4 is only compatible with FortiClient 5.4.1. FortiClient 5.4.0 doesn’t work, and 5.4.2 and 5.4.3 bugs with code -12

What is your FortiOS version ? Yves

Toccamonium

Hi Yves,

I'm just using FortiClient, nothing else. I have never heard before of FortiOS ;) for what do I need this? Before the latest version of FortiClient I used 5.4.3 with the same issues. Maybe there is an alternativ

solution to build this VPN tunnel when it doesn't work with my hardware constellation? Cheers Florian

YvesCa
New Contributor III

Hi Florian,

ok ! :)

Forticlient is the VPN client to connect to the Fortient Firewall called FortiGate.

This FortiGate has an OS called FortiOS.

You need to know this for the compatibility.

Ask to your administrator.

Yves

Toccamonium

Ok, I will get in touch with the admin.

Toccamonium

Ok, just to inform you what the problem was:

When we connected to their VPN tunnel, their script where overwriting our DNS values. Therefore we were unable to connect to the internet. So it's a problem with their VPN config. Until it's done, we have to execute a bash script to restore our DNS values.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors