Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
stukat
New Contributor

download & update new FortiClient via Endpoint on FortiGate

Most of our users are on FortiClient 5.2.0.0591. I would like to have the FortiClient identify that a newer release exists 5.2.1.0605 and automatically update it. I do not have FortiManager. This worked previously (5.07 to 5.09) but my clients think that they' re on the " latest version" .
5 REPLIES 5
kolawale_FTNT

A manual upgrade from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 can be completed by running the FortiClient light installer available for download at: www.forticlient.com.
tobys

kolawale_FTNT wrote:
A manual upgrade from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 can be completed by running the FortiClient light installer available for download at: www.forticlient.com.
This doesn't really answer the OP's question - why doesn't it autoupgrade?

Is it that major version releases (5.0.x to 5.2.x) and my current issue 5.2.x to 5.4.x always require manual intervention?

thanks,

Toby

stukat
New Contributor

Major releases are supposed to auto-upgrade.  This was broken in some versions of the client but I believe it is fixed now.  Unfortunately, the latest stable version is 5.2.3 and it's broken in that one.  All subsequent versions have a bug which affect Windows 10 & Outlook.  I've been advised that the next 5.4 release - just pushed back a month to mid May - should resolve these issues.

kolawale_FTNT

tobys wrote:

This doesn't really answer the OP's question - why doesn't it autoupgrade?

Is it that major version releases (5.0.x to 5.2.x) and my current issue 5.2.x to 5.4.x always require manual intervention?

I think at the time that the original posting was created, Fortinet was yet to enable auto-update from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1. Users can still upgrade manually.

Since the original posting, Fortinet has released a new product - FortiClient EMS (see www.forticlient.com). It allows an administrator to manage the deployment of FortiClient to end users. Even when each endpoint could not detect the new FortiCleint version, the EMS admin could deploy it.

For your case, you may deploy FortiClient 5.4.0 to your users from the EMS. Auto-update is not yet enabled from 5.2.3 to 5.4.0.

stukat

5.4.0 has issues.  Would strongly suggest waiting until next release due in May.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors