Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sean3
New Contributor

can anyone explain what is Online and Offline of Endpoint Connection in FortiClient EMS

Hi All, I've been trying to figure out what Online and Offline exactly means in FortiClient EMS. As I can see, if I keep EMS connected at the FortiClient end, it will be shown Online, no matter what the VPN connection status is. If I manually disconnect the EMS from the FortiClient end, it will be in Not Registered list.

So, what does Online and Offline exactly means here? 

FortiClient EMS.PNG

Thanks for any help.

2 Solutions
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @sean3 ,

Offline means the Client does not establish a telemetry connection to FortiClientEMS.Online means the Client establishes a telemetry connection to FortiClientEMS.  

Suppose your client does not reach your FortiClientEMS. if you want to check this status on your client, you can look at the Zero Trust Telemetry tab. If you see something(Screenshot) like this. Your client status is marked offline on FortiClientEMS.

image.png

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW

View solution in original post

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
ebilcari

You're welcome. Yes correct, every endpoint that is managed (online or offline) will consume a license. It is also mentioned in the Licensing Guide:

You must purchase a license for each registered endpoint or user.

manage.PNG

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

The status is for telemetry connection not related to VPN status.

When you manually press the "Disconnect" from EMS telemetry tab, the host get's automatically unregistered as you can see also in the EMS logs:

unret.PNG

The offline status is shown when the end host is powered off or can't reach the telemetry port of EMS to update its status.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
sean3
New Contributor

Thanks a lot! when it is Not Registered, it will not consume a Zero Trust Access license, of course, EMS loses the connection and control to the laptop.

Whether it is online or offline, it will anyway consume a Zero Trust Access license.

===

is my understanding correct?

ebilcari

You're welcome. Yes correct, every endpoint that is managed (online or offline) will consume a license. It is also mentioned in the Licensing Guide:

You must purchase a license for each registered endpoint or user.

manage.PNG

- Emirjon
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @sean3 ,

Offline means the Client does not establish a telemetry connection to FortiClientEMS.Online means the Client establishes a telemetry connection to FortiClientEMS.  

Suppose your client does not reach your FortiClientEMS. if you want to check this status on your client, you can look at the Zero Trust Telemetry tab. If you see something(Screenshot) like this. Your client status is marked offline on FortiClientEMS.

image.png

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
sean3

thanks a lot! makes sense.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors