Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Robbo009
New Contributor

backup and restore settings from Fortigate 30E to Fortigate 80e

Hi all,

I've got to replace a Fortigate 30e for a 80e. Can I just do a backup on the Fortigate 30e and restore the settings to the 80e? Or is there a more complex process to pass all the settings to the new Fortigate 80e? 

Thanks,

Rob

4 REPLIES 4
sw2090
Honored Contributor

no you unfortunately cannot restore a backup on a different device/model than it was created on.

If you have a license you might try FortiConverter. If not you could do copy paste on cli or use system settings advanced to apply parts of the config as script. Alas the last one has the disadvantage that debugging is very hard since you only get state ok or failed but no explicit error msgs on aplying a config script.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

and think about the firmware you want to use. Etiher upgrade the old FGT before creating backup to have a newer version on the new one (accoarding to the suggested upgrade path). Or downgrade the new one before configuring it, then apply the config and then upgrade it accoarding to the upgrade path.

Also keep in mind that there are differences between different models, like physical port names (and existance) or some (cli) options that exist on one and do not on the other.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Robbo009

ok great thanks. I'll take a look at the options. much appreciated.

BWiebe

100% doable and Fortinet has an article on doing it:

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD30056

I've done this many times for clients with success.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors