Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
clwolf
New Contributor

access by hostname in split tunnel ssl vpn

HI. I have a few clients who have SSL VPN setup as split tunneling, and everything seems to be working fine. However, they would like to be able to communicate with hosts by just the hostname, not the FQDN. FQDN works fine, but hostname does not resolve. Is there a way to get this to work? Currently, they have DNS hosted on Windows servers on the inside of the Fortigate, and also I have WINS enabled on those servers as well. These server are in the SSL VPN config, and the internal DNS has also been entered in the options field of the Fortigate. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
clwolf
New Contributor

also pinging the hostname on the java console of the Fortigate works fine.
Fullmoon

Hi, on client side are you able to ping the internal dns server? add dns suffixes on client side tcp/ip settings (see the image)

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
clwolf

Hi, on client side are you able to ping the internal dns server? add dns suffixes on client side tcp/ip settings (see the image)
I am able to ping the internal dns server. I am able to ping everything by either ip or FQDN. Adding dns suffixes would work if I weren' t using the SSL vpn client via the web login. Or do you mean adding this to the FortiSSL network connection?
Fullmoon

try adding dns suffixes under fortissl connection and initiate ping using hostname if its work

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
clwolf
New Contributor

I' ll try it in a bit. Thanks. Didn' t even think about modifying the FortiSSL connection.
Fullmoon

let us know whats the outcome

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Subject has already come up recently. AFAIR there is no " searchdomain" setting in the SSL interface. You can put it in manually but it will be deleted next time you start the SSL VPN again.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors