Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
danvatek
New Contributor

Wireless AP stops authenticating clients

We have a multi site network with a central Fortigate wireless controller. The AP's are under a single AP profile. The SSID's are in tunnel mode. The Fortigate is on version 7.0.10 and the AP's are on v7.0-build0108.

Some of the AP's randomly stop letting clients authenticate. The only way to get them working again is to remove the AP from the AP Group and then re-add it back in again. The clients can then instantly connect.

I can see repeated authentication requests and responses in the AP logs:

request from wireless station" sn="FP221E5519056432" ap="WHCW-AP-01" vap="WHL-Net" ssid="WHL-Network" radioid=1 user="N/A" stamac="7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" channel=1 security="WPA2 Personal" encryption="AES" action="auth-req" reason="Reserved 0" msg="AP received authentication request frame from client 7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" remotewtptime="3304.691751"
response to wireless station" sn="FP221E5519056432" ap="WHCW-AP-01" vap="WHL-Net" ssid="WHL-Network" radioid=1 user="N/A" stamac="7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" channel=1 security="WPA2 Personal" encryption="AES" action="auth-resp" reason="Reserved 0" msg="AP sent authentication response frame to client 7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" remotewtptime="3304.691484"
request from wireless station" sn="FP221E5519056432" ap="WHCW-AP-01" vap="WHL-Net" ssid="WHL-Network" radioid=1 user="N/A" stamac="7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" channel=1 security="WPA2 Personal" encryption="AES" action="auth-req" reason="Reserved 0" msg="AP received authentication request frame from client 7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" remotewtptime="3304.691091"
request from wireless station" sn="FP221E5519056432" ap="WHCW-AP-01" vap="WHL-Client" ssid="WHL-Client" radioid=1 user="N/A" stamac="7c:f6:66:8c:fa:b9" channel=1 security="WPA2 Personal" encryption="AES" action="a

I've already adjusted the AP keepalive timers to no avail.

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.

1 Solution
danvatek

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I found the issue. The access points connect to the controller Fortigate via wan connections. We are using SDWAN with dual wan connections and one of the links was unstable causing the capwap tunnels to drop or stop passing traffic, even though it appeared to be connected. Modified the SDWAN rules which resolved the issue.

Thanks

Dan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello danvatek, 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

I have found this KB article which can be useful:

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiAP/Troubleshooting-Tip-Fixing-sticky-client-issues-on-FortiAP...

Could you please tell me if it helped?

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
danvatek

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I found the issue. The access points connect to the controller Fortigate via wan connections. We are using SDWAN with dual wan connections and one of the links was unstable causing the capwap tunnels to drop or stop passing traffic, even though it appeared to be connected. Modified the SDWAN rules which resolved the issue.

Thanks

Dan

Jean-Philippe_P

Hello danvatek,

Thanks for sharing the solution and happy you resolve it!

Regards,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors