Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
John_Winfield
New Contributor

Windows Mobil 5.0 Exchange Synching to Small Business Server

How do I setup a Fortigate model 60 3.0os to allow OTA/outlook web access Exchange synching with Window Small Business Server 2003 r2 and a Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
doshbass
New Contributor III

All that is required from the FG side for OWA access is port forwarding/or VIP forwarding of HTTPS traffic to the SBS server. What Microsoft then needs is another story
Still learning to type " the"
Still learning to type " the"
Not applicable

I was wondering the same thing since I am going to be setting up some smartphones pretty soon... I am using a Palm Treo 750 (Windows Mobile), SBS 2003, Exchange, Fortigate 60A... I was under the impression I could setup a PPTP VPN with the phone and firewall to allow me to access the inside network... Has anyone ever seen, heard, or done this before? Or is the best way just to use port fowarding? Whats the best way to get this locked down a secure since thats my main worry... I dont want any weak points into my network.
MasterBratac
Contributor

I´m using a setup that very similar to yours ... pptp with WM5.0 works great. It´s a bit tricky to setup the networkzones inside the mobile device, so that it dials the PPTP connection automaticly, but then you can activesync to exchange without any portforwarding, and in a more secure way ...
Not applicable

Thats very good to hear. When I was talking to some IT company they said they would just set it up by opening a port or using port fowarding on my network. For some reason I didnt like the sound of that. Are all windows mobile 5.0 phones have PPTP or any stronger version of a VPN? What if you cant make a PPTP connection, whats the nest best SECURE way of getting it done? Or what is the most secure way? Can you still use authentication or certificates with PPTP?
MasterBratac
Contributor

>>Are all windows mobile 5.0 phones have PPTP or any stronger version of a VPN? As I know, PPTP is built in to all WM5.0 Devices. Theres also a built in IPSec/L2TP Client available in WM, but I ´ve never tried it out. You may also use a third Party IPSec Client like NCP VPN Client for Windows Mobile, which works very fine. It costs around 50$ per License. It support certificates and all that stuff. >>What if you cant make a PPTP connection, whats the nest best SECURE way of getting it done? Or what is the most secure way? Can you still use authentication or certificates with PPTP? PPTP is only Username and Password. It´s not as secure as IPSec, but its seen as " secure enough" , and it´s almost better than the usage of simple Port forwarding ... Use strong passwords ...
ByterunnerHome
New Contributor

Hello, we are useing http://www.ncp.de/english/produkte/secureentry/index.html IPSEC VPN Client. It works fine.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors