Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
paulbrock
New Contributor III

WildCard not working

Hi Everyone, i am having a problem where i can get a wild card to work. i am trying to block translate.google.* If i block for example translate.google.fr it works if i block for example translate.google.cn it works However if i use a wildcard i.e translate.google.* i can still access a translate.google.it or translate.google.nz it is not untill i enter them using translate.google.nz will they block ? So in short it appears wild cards are not working for me the syntax of my wildcard is translate.google* i am using Fortigate 621B V4 MR3 patch 10 Many thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Try setting the type to Regex and set the URL to: translate\.google\.com.* Alternately, you can always block google translation via Application control....

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
paulbrock
New Contributor III

Hi Dave, Many thanks application control worked a treat , however when you stated set the type to regex and set the url to translate\.google\.com.* 1st the url translate\.google\.com.* is invalid 2nd not sure how to set the type to regex ? Regards paul
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Not sure you would be having trouble -- my little fgt is on the same firmware (4.0 MR3 patch 10), though your screen-shot looks different. 1. Create or edit a URL Filter list. 2. Add the " translate\.google\.com.*" entry to this URL Filter list. 3. Apply the URL Filter list to a Web Profile (if needed). 4. Apply this Web Profile to a firewall policy covering HTTP/HTTPS traffic.

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

@PaulBrock You post is in ' UTM > Web Filter > Local Ratings' . In that area, you cannot use wildcards. The FGT is looking for exact domain matches. That is why the ' *' doesn' t hit anything.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors