Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jefazo92
Contributor

Why is the same IP address assigned for VLAN Switch interfaces in FG-100F?

Hi,

I have an FG-100 with factory settings. When I go to Network -> Interfaces, I notice that there is only one IP assigned for all 20 VLAN Switch interfaces. Why is this so? The FG-100F is a layer 3 switch so every interface should have a different IP and MAC address (even a layer 2 switch should have every interface with a different MAC address). Please, would someone mind helping me understand what is going on here? 

5 REPLIES 5
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

The interfaces are part of the hardware switch, that works as a L2 device attached to the FGT for easy deployment in small branches. The interfaces can be easily removed from the HW SW and used independently as routed ports like shown here.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
jefazo92

Thank you very much for your reply. When I remove the interface from the list in VLAN Switch group, the interface goes to the Physical Interface group. However, how may I assign my interface as a routed port? What are the next steps to follow? Do I only have to add a static IP to make it routable or do I need a new group for the interface?

P. S. In the context of your reply, are the interfaces in the VLAN group considered to be the interfaces for L2? I ask this because VLAN is a functionality of a L2 switch which I may not want to use. I will probably want to use L2 interfaces to do "normal" L2 switching. 

ebilcari

Yes, assigning an IP to the interface will make it work as a routed interface, no extra steps required. Remember that FGT is a firewall and you need to add firewall policies (usually for each interface) to allow traffic.

FGT supports both the sub interface and L2 VLAN (HW/SW switch) approach. As per other vendors, sub interface (tagged traffic) VLAN, is locally significant to that (routed) interface and is not spanned. HW/SW switch share the same L2 broadcast domain.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
jefazo92

Thank you very much again. Please would you mind to explain more reagarding your last paragraph, I having trouble to see how it relates to whether the VLAN Switch interfaces also refer to normal non-VLAN L2 switch traffic:

"FGT supports both the sub interface and L2 VLAN (HW/SW switch) approach. As per other vendors, sub interface (tagged traffic) VLAN, is locally significant to that (routed) interface and is not spanned."

ebilcari

You can create a sub interface (Type VLAN) under a physical interface that will accept only tagged traffic to a specific VLANs like shown below. This is usually used to connect the uplink of a switch with many VLANs. In this configuration the L2 broadcast domain ends here, the VLANs are not spanned to the other interfaces of FGT, only L3/IP traffic will be routed (known as router-on-a-stick).

sub-interface.PNG

In case where two hosts or physical switches need to span the VLANs (L2 broadcast domain) through FGT you need to configure a hardware switch.

- Emirjon
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors