Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jefazo92
Contributor

Which filter would block a website being queried via IP (no hostname)?

Hi everyone,

If both web filter and DNS filter are enabled, and someone tries to access a website via a malicious IP (not hostname), which filter would be the first to kick-in? The web filter or the DNS filter? What would happen if the website has not DNS records which filter would be applied here? What if the website does have DNS records, would the reverse DNS process trigger first the DNS filter before the web filter? 

3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

If I understand well your need, you may do it by blocking the traffic just by destination IP (simple firewalling without UTM profile).

AEK
AEK
lumiktu1
New Contributor

Bruh I have a century link router who declared itself 1.1.1.1 can't get to cloudflare if I'm on the wifi. I'm almost certain they knew that and they're trying to block the connection by not letting the router forward the traffic to the WAN https://vidmate.bid/

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @jefazo92,

If you access a website using IP address, it will match DNS Filter Unrated category. It depends on which action you have set for that category. 

Regards, 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors