Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mike300
New Contributor

Where to start with FG-100E ?

I was gifted this awesome device, but now I need to set it up.

Where should I start?

I currently have an all-in-one cable/modem+wifi/router.

Looks like I need to separate them.. this will be for my home/network/lab.

I found the "Quick Start" Guide, but I need more help

• How do I get started?
  • Where do you plug the Cable/Modem?
  • Where do you plug the Wireless router?
  • Do I need a 'compatible' kind of wireless router?
1 Solution
GDiFi
Staff
Staff

Hi Mike300,

Since you have an all-in-one modem from your ISP, this would need to act as the WAN connection to your Fortigate, and you can create new networks behind that.  If you are trying to make the Fortigate the main router for your home, you will need to put the modem in bypass mode or get a new modem that supports that.

After that, you will not be able to use the wifi on the modem if you want it to be behind the firewall, so you will need a new wireless access point.

Hopefully this can get you started in the right direction.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GDiFi
Staff
Staff

Hi Mike300,

Since you have an all-in-one modem from your ISP, this would need to act as the WAN connection to your Fortigate, and you can create new networks behind that.  If you are trying to make the Fortigate the main router for your home, you will need to put the modem in bypass mode or get a new modem that supports that.

After that, you will not be able to use the wifi on the modem if you want it to be behind the firewall, so you will need a new wireless access point.

Hopefully this can get you started in the right direction.

mike300
New Contributor

Wonderful. Thank you!!

Looks like I need to get a new Wireless AP.

Any other suggestions for learning FG-100E basics ?

Vichu_94

Hi Mike,

Please find the link below for admin guide for Fortigate:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.0.0/handbook/223745/getting-started

Regards
Vishal P

Vishal P
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors