Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Nils
Contributor II

Where to place the FortiWeb Appliance

Hi,

Im about to install a FortiWeb, to handle OWA, Reverse proxy etc.

Where should I place the appliance...?

[ul]
  • Directly on Internet with an external IP?
  • Behind Fortigate firewall with NAT?[/ul]

If I place it behind the Fortigate, is it possible to use the Servers Certificate on the FortiWeb or do I need to do the HTTPS decyption on the Fortigate?

If I place it behind the fortigate, the FortiWeb will have an internal (NAT:ed) address.

Whats the best practice here?

• 1 Solution
    jintrah_FTNT

Hi Nil,

The certificate is not bound to any IP, as far as the requests/traffic reach FortiWeb to its destined virtual server IP(public/private) and Port, the certificate thing would work fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
    jintrah_FTNT
    Staff
    Staff

Hi..

Ideally WAF should be placed behind Firewall  DMZ. You can install/import server certificates on FortiWeb for https encryption/decryption.  There are some info available on the topology setup done in reverse proxy mode, please go through http://help.fortinet.com/fweb/554/index.htm#FortiWeb/fortiweb-admin/planning_topology.htm%3FTocPath%...

Nils

Ok,

I saw these topology setups.

There is one thing I'm not sure about, and its about the server certificates.

I the FortiWeb is behind NAT, where should I place the certificates?

Aren't these meant to be where the External IP is located? 

jintrah_FTNT

Hi Nil,

The certificate is not bound to any IP, as far as the requests/traffic reach FortiWeb to its destined virtual server IP(public/private) and Port, the certificate thing would work fine.

Nils

Ok thanks! 

Countryboy

if you migrate certificates?

just create CSR then the signed CRS  will upload to Fortiweb,

Countryboy

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors