Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ush0o
New Contributor

Where are the WAN ports in Fortigate 300E ?

Hello ALL Community, 

I have a new fortigate 300E and now i want to connect ISP to WAN port . but i didn't find any wan port in it. where are the wan ports in it ?  What are S1,S2 and VM1 and VM2 ports ? 

How should i Connect ISP to Fortigate300E ? 

Would be a great help in this regard. 

thanks 

Usman Ali 

2 Solutions
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did your box not come with an installation guide? 1st off no ports are designated in the legacy WAN/LAN/DMX fashion so you can use almost any port in this model for the WAN. I would suggest you deploy the WAN ( ISP ) in  SDWAN fashion with one member. This will help you out later and if you decide to . do SDWAN at some future date.

On S1/2 VM1/2, these are designated sniffer and virtual-wire ports. And the other obvious ports are HA and MNGT.

So jump in and read the installation guide, pre-decide on how many ports you need, LACP if applicable, SDWAN,etc.......

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Most of the smaller appliance has pre-defined ports but you can or not use these for the label. It's just a name. So in your case, you will select the port(s) for the WAn/LAN/DMZ/etc.... and configured them.   I haven't studied the 300E architect but I would also look at the switch-fabric in the firewall to ensure you do not hit any performance issues later.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
4 REPLIES 4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did your box not come with an installation guide? 1st off no ports are designated in the legacy WAN/LAN/DMX fashion so you can use almost any port in this model for the WAN. I would suggest you deploy the WAN ( ISP ) in  SDWAN fashion with one member. This will help you out later and if you decide to . do SDWAN at some future date.

On S1/2 VM1/2, these are designated sniffer and virtual-wire ports. And the other obvious ports are HA and MNGT.

So jump in and read the installation guide, pre-decide on how many ports you need, LACP if applicable, SDWAN,etc.......

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ush0o
New Contributor

HI emnoc, 

Thanks for the answer. yes it do come with installation guide but it doesn't say anything like wan ports. 

same like this in the link .

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/hardware/fortigate-3300-3301e-series-qsg?model=all .

thanks for the suggestions also about SD-Wan . 

Regards,

Usman Ali

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Most of the smaller appliance has pre-defined ports but you can or not use these for the label. It's just a name. So in your case, you will select the port(s) for the WAn/LAN/DMZ/etc.... and configured them.   I haven't studied the 300E architect but I would also look at the switch-fabric in the firewall to ensure you do not hit any performance issues later.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ush0o
New Contributor

okay thanks a lot. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors