Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fjulianom
New Contributor III

When does FortiGate generate traffic logs?

Hi guys,

According to NSE4, FortiGate will generate traffic logs once a firewall policy closes an IP session. What does that mean? Does that mean when FortiGate sends a FIN packet to the server? Or does that mean when FortiGate sends an ACK packet after it has received a SYN-ACK from the server? I guess is the second option. Could you confirm?

Regards,

Julián

3 Solutions
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I  would look at the set logtraffic-start enable  option, but in normal operation the log category traffic is not written till after the session has closed. This is  the only way to get duration and bytes sent/received

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are not setting the  cmd , than the log is written when the policy session is closed. How else would you expect it to log the session?

Since the  traffic logs contains numerous values &  it can only write those at the session completion time.

e.g

bytes sent/received

duration

etc....

Keep in mind  devices like FAZ might have a small delay before the details are review and depends on upload  variables ( realtime or delayed )

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

with logtraffic start , YES!. If you open a new session like a SSH  and keep it open.query the logs

e.g

create a new policy for some control traffic and set it top of the sequence

Now doe the following

;

execute log filter category 0

execute  log filter device 0 (??? check the number for the  MEM FAZ or DISK )

execute log filter field policyid <#>

execute log display

Now do you see any thing for that traffic ?

Now close  the session and re-execute  the "execute log display" and now you will have the record in the log.

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
15 REPLIES 15
fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi Ken,

1. But I did open just one RDP session, not more.

2. I thought the same, but I have googled out and found that sometimes RDP can use UDP 3389 instead of TCP 3389.

3. I will execute ASAP and let you know.

4. I know that and for that reason the logs which showed the transmited bytes are those that were generated after I closed the session (#26 and 27). The first log didn't show the bytes because in that time the session was open. The second log didn't show the bytes either, althought I closed the session at that time.

Regards,

Julián

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I know RDP can us udp/3389 but the defined RDP services is  tcp.

http://help.fortinet.com/fos40hlp/43/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=fgt&file=fw_compo...

Do you have a service named udp/3389?

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi Ken,

I now get you about RDP can use UDP 3389 but the defined RDP services is TCP. But not, I don't have a service namee UDP/3389.

I have checked the sessions ID of the four logs in the log details and they are different, should they be the same?

And here you are the output of the command:

CRO_Principal (root) # show full firewall policy 5 | grep log
        set logtraffic all
        set logtraffic-start disable

CRO_Principal (root) #  

Regards,

Julián

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

How about running the following

cli-cmd

show full firewall service custom | grep 3389

On the log start, if that's enabled  you will get a log message for the start and a log entry for the final log details upon  closure.

You can test this over a in/egress interface pair and with  regular ipv4/6 firewall-policy

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi Ken,

The log start is not enabled.

CRO_Principal (root) # show full firewall service custom | grep 3389
        set tcp-portrange 3389

CRO_Principal (root) # 

Regards,

Julián

fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi Ken,

I have tested with opening a FTP session. Here is the result:

When I open the FTP session, these three logs appeared, all with the transmitted bytes. The first one (#3) have a different session ID, but the last two (#1 and 2) have the same session ID. The log start is not enabled either for this firewall policy. When I closed the FTP session, no more logs were generated. This is very strange, have you tested and verified that a log is only generated when the session is closed (assuming log start is not enabled)?

Regards,

Julián

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors