Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
albaker1
Contributor

What special characters are not allowed in IPsec PSK?

We recently performed a conversion from a Firepower to a FortiGate, and we had one tunnel that wouldn't come up. We found out during troubleshooting an authentication error that a special character in the PSK was not permitted, but we didn't have time to work with the vendor to remove them one at a time - we removed them all and just went with a long alphanumeric key, and it worked. Is there a list as to what isn't allowed? We have another conversion coming up in a few weeks that has between 30 and 40 IPsec tunnels, and we can't have surprises with this conversion. Thank you.

1 Solution
albaker1

I know that either ~, ", ;, (, or > is not allowed. I ran across a Fortinet document for an old version (I think 6.2 - there was no option to select 7.x code) that said single quotes, double quotes, <, and > were not allowed. We have another tunnel that uses a >, and it's working, so I presume with the current version it's the single and double quotes that are a problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
abarushka
Staff
Staff
albaker1

I know that either ~, ", ;, (, or > is not allowed. I ran across a Fortinet document for an old version (I think 6.2 - there was no option to select 7.x code) that said single quotes, double quotes, <, and > were not allowed. We have another tunnel that uses a >, and it's working, so I presume with the current version it's the single and double quotes that are a problem.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors