Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
apkbyte
New Contributor

What is the correct way to reset PoE ports with FortiAP?

I want to completely turn off a port including power on a FortiSwitch port connect to FortiAP all managed by Fortigate. What is the correct way of doing this? I tried change the port Status to Disabled, PoE Disabled, Reset PoE. I can still see some FortiAP LED light up! The only way I can somehow make it work is to reboot the switch. I am trying to configure FortiAP with aggregate ports with LACP using two ports. If I don't do it in the right sequence, I lose access to the AP. The only way to get it back is to reboot the switch. Reset the ports doesn't seem to help.

https://apkbyte.com

3 Solutions
knagaraju
Staff
Staff

Hello apkbyte,

Could you please let me know the model of AP?

Regards,
Nagaraju.

View solution in original post

Alexender4534
New Contributor

In the FortiGate web interface or CLI, navigate to the FortiSwitch section and locate the port that is connected to the FortiAP. Set the status of the port to "Disabled" to deactivate it.

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Since you are trying to configure LACP the AP should have more than one port. Both ports can be used to power the AP. Disabling PoE on both ports will power off the AP completely if it is not powered by an external adapter.

ap.png

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

5 REPLIES 5
knagaraju
Staff
Staff

Hello apkbyte,

Could you please let me know the model of AP?

Regards,
Nagaraju.

Alexender4534
New Contributor

In the FortiGate web interface or CLI, navigate to the FortiSwitch section and locate the port that is connected to the FortiAP. Set the status of the port to "Disabled" to deactivate it.

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Since you are trying to configure LACP the AP should have more than one port. Both ports can be used to power the AP. Disabling PoE on both ports will power off the AP completely if it is not powered by an external adapter.

ap.png

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
mivh89jk
New Contributor

Resetting Power over Ethernet (PoE) ports for FortiAP devices involves a systematic process to temporarily disrupt and then restore power supply to the connected FortiAP. This procedure is useful for troubleshooting connectivity issues or resolving performance problems. To perform this reset, follow these steps:

First, access the FortiGate's web interface by logging in through a web browser. Next, navigate to the appropriate section, often referred to as Device Manager or WiFi Controller, depending on your FortiGate's firmware version. Here, you'll manage your FortiAP devices.

Locate the specific FortiAP that requires a PoE port reset from the list of devices. Once identified, proceed by temporarily disabling the PoE power supply to this particular FortiAP. This action will interrupt power to the AP.

Now, exercise patience for approximately 10 to 15 seconds. This waiting period ensures that the FortiAP is completely powered down, allowing any residual power to dissipate. After this brief interval, reactivate PoE for the same FortiAP. By doing so, you provide the FortiAP with a clean power supply to initiate a fresh start.

As you monitor the FortiAP's status within the web interface, observe the device's response. It should commence the initialization process and work toward reestablishing connectivity.

demein
New Contributor

If disabling PoE is not working…you might wanna call FortiTAC. Or, if you have 2 cables ran to the AP, you’re gonna need to turn PoE off on both ports.

10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors