Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

What exactly is Auto IPSec Request?

When configuring an Interface in System > Network > Interface below the Administrative Access you also get the option to enable "Auto IPSec Request".

What is it? So far neither Google nor any FortiNet Ressource brought any insight.

1 Solution
Christopher_McMullan

To paraphrase terribly what I've seen come through our internal forums over the last week, I finally found out that Auto-IPsec was designed in situations where a FortiManager was *not* used to centrally push out configuration changes concerning VPN settings to both tunnel endpoints.

The idea is, with a policy-based VPN (I haven't seen anything to prove it applies to interface-based VPNs as well), if a change is made on the responder side once a tunnel is already established, the change can be communicated to the initiator so that both will maintain their connection.

Does that help?

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Christopher_McMullan

To paraphrase terribly what I've seen come through our internal forums over the last week, I finally found out that Auto-IPsec was designed in situations where a FortiManager was *not* used to centrally push out configuration changes concerning VPN settings to both tunnel endpoints.

The idea is, with a policy-based VPN (I haven't seen anything to prove it applies to interface-based VPNs as well), if a change is made on the responder side once a tunnel is already established, the change can be communicated to the initiator so that both will maintain their connection.

Does that help?

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors