Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tasneem
New Contributor

WEB FILTER- STATIC URL FILTERING

Hi All,

I have a web filter called (LAN USERS- New policy) .

*) In which in General category i have blocked job search .

*) but i want to allow only www.glassdoor.com and www.glassdoor.in which falls under job search category .

*) I went and allowed it in the STATIC URL FILTER of (LAN USERS- New policy).

But still i am not able to open www.glassdoor.com or www.glassdoor.in

Attached Screen shot the kind reference .

Regards

Tasneem Ahmed 

16 REPLIES 16
robdog
New Contributor II

Does setting the option to exempt work rather than allow?

tasneem
New Contributor

Hi Rob Dog

Thanks for the solution 

I changed it to exempt from allow . It worked for me and the site www.glassdoor.com is working now .

Regards

Tasneem Ahmed 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Try this, sit the filter as ;  www.glassdoor.com

does that work?

Also try  glassdoor.com  again does that work?

IIRC you do not need the * in the site URL

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Yes exempt instead of allow might do the trick. 

This is because a simple "allow" does not stop the filter. So if static url filter goes before category-filter an allow entry will thus be blocked if the cathegoriy is blocked. I gues this is what happens here.

IF you set it to exempt (which implies allow) the Filter will stop there and will not apply further filters to this.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Make sure  understand exempt and what your exemption are  before you enable it.

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=FD35069

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
robdog
New Contributor II

I agree with emnoc, although exempt is a "quick fix" it should be used sparingly

Ideally should try to find why the allow is not matching the provided string by looking into any subsequent security polices

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

You can also try defining a local category, which I would name it "whitelist", then put those URL in and allow them. It would override the pre-defined categories so they wouldn't affect.

Robbo009

I have the same problems but in my case I have to use wildcard domains. It won't let me create local categories with wildcards. The only way I can see if block the category in web filter and create a static url. But then allow does not work you need to use exempt which as noted above is "dangerous". Whats the best way to block everything from LAN to internet but allow certain web services like Adobe Creative cloud and office 365 etc. 

Thanks,

Rob

Toshi_Esumi

Try "Internet Service" in the policy to allow like "Adobe-Adobe.Cloud", "Microsoft-Office365".
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors