Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wlerner
New Contributor

WARNING: FortiAP C24JE and Upgrading to FortiOS 6.2.0

I recently remotely upgraded my FortiGate 81E from version 6.0.4 to version 6.2.0 as per instructions and guidance provided by Fortinet.  The remote upgrade of the 81E was successful but I lost access to numerous FortiAP C24JE devices.  A support ticket to Fortinet provided solutions that all require physical access to the AP.  While this makes sense as the APs are shown as "Disconnected" in the FortiGate, the upgrade should not have caused this to happen based on the Fortinet guidance.

I am posting this as a warning to those considering upgrading to the newest version of FortiOS.  I have lost access to %50 of my wireless APs which are remote and difficult to access even when present.

5 REPLIES 5
wanglei_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi wlerner,

Do you have a ticket number that we can take a look at? FGT upgrade should not cause this to happen. Can you also elaborate little more on "lost access to numerous 24JEs"?   Are you able to ping them from its local branch if these APs need to go through NAT to reach your 81E?

Thanks,

wlerner

The ticket number for this incident is 3237469.  The FortiAPs on my network all rely on DHCP to receive an address.  When I the units are disconnected I mean that the FortiGate shows them as disconnected in the GUI under "Managed FortiAPs."  

My ticket was updated suggesting I roll back to version 6.0.4. which I am loathe to do after this experience.

Thank you!

wanglei_FTNT

We do maintain backward compatibility with certain # of prior releases for our FAP/FAP-S. For FAP-C series, it's little different as 5.4.x is the latest branch. What I can confirm is that 6.2 FGT can manage 5.4 FAP-C although your AP is running a very early release of 5.4.  So, your issue could be something else and I have asked our support team's help to take a further look. They might reach out to you via ticket system and let's find out the reason. 

wlerner

Thank you for your help.  I did try rolling back to 6.0.4 using the instructions in the KB article and the C24JEs did not reconnect.  I am still having the same issue.  I will keep an eye out here and on my support ticket for resolution. Thanks for the help.

wanglei_FTNT

You are welcome. Our support is supposed to be contacting or have contacted you. I will check with them in a couple of days on how it goes. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors