Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
elecboy
New Contributor

WAN Bring Down/Up Interfaces

In version 5.2 I started seeing a new feature in Router->Settings, I created my to ISP with health monitor and I see this option " Bring Down (Up) Interfaces" , so this means that if I configure it with let' s say WAN1, goes down it can bring up WAN2? Thanks
-ElecBoy
-ElecBoy
4 REPLIES 4
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hi, and welcome! Yes that is exactly what you can do!

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
dasilva13
New Contributor

What does everyone use for the ping server? next external hop on Tracert?
bobm
New Contributor III

Depends on where most of your traffic goes - to another remote office in the same network or to the internet. We used to use the next hop gateway, but ran into an problem a while ago when our ISP had issues beyond that point. The FGT saw a valid link, but no traffic was actually getting out to the world. So we started using Google DNS servers as our ping server.
Dyop_Geop
New Contributor

Hi fellow engineers,

I know this is a thread 1year ago, just want to clarify something regarding this topic.

A question regarding this statement:

"Bring Down (Up) Interfaces" , so this means that if I configure it with let' s say WAN1, goes down it can bring up WAN2?

Selective answered, "Yes that is exactly what you can do!"

What if both WAN1 and WAN2, are up. Because I'm using Weighted Load Balance. Both ISPs are UP all the time.

So I'm a little confused with this phrase, "WAN1 goes down, it can 'BRING UP' WAN2".  in my setup, both ISPs are UP, so is the phrase above correct?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors