Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JesperAP
New Contributor

WAN BGP connection from datacenter (HA)

Hello,

We've got a BGP configuration in the datacenter (see screenshot below) and we have 2 FortiGates (100F).

We want to make the FortiGates highly available. But for both ports we have a /30 subnet so our external IP address is different for both ports.

Is this even possible (to have different IP addresses on both ports and use HA) or should we switch to a different configuration

dual-bgp-assigned-ip15b.png

3 REPLIES 3
fricci_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi @JesperAP ,

I am not a design expert. When you configure FGCP you have to configure the WAN interface IP on primary unit and it will be automatically sync'd to secondary unit, so primary and secondary units interfaces have the same IPs. On your WAN interface you may enable/assign a secondary IP (using the IP belonging to the secondary BGP subnet /30). Bear in mind that the BGP configuration/peering will only be active on the current primary unit and I am not sure about the performances of that implementation and consequent BGP peering failover.
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.0/ports-and-protocols/564712/fgcp-fortigate-cluster...

It might be worth contacting your SE and ask for a Professional Services consultancy.

Best regards,

---
If you have found a useful article or a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
JesperAP
New Contributor

Isn't it a option to make a VDOM exception for the WAN interface?

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.0.5/administration-guide/105611/vdom-exceptions

How do I specify to only have a exception for the WAN interface?

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

You can not do HA with those two FGTs because this BGP design assumes two independent routers (FGTs) on the customer end. 

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors