Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ASPCORP
New Contributor

Vlan in interface mode

Our 90D is in Interface mode.

We are now trying to setup vlan [ Interface>Create New>VLan...] after doing this we realize that the vlan isnt working ...

Is there anything step that we are missing ?

ASP TECH
ASP TECH
3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

No, vlan subinterface creation shouldn't have changed when it supported switch-mode and when it stopped supporting it as far as I know. You must be using very old version. If the vlan you created after converting to interface-mode is not working, it must be the vlan config you put in. GUI could vary by versions. Post the version with more detail descriptions for what is not working against how it's supposed to be working.

ASPCORP

90D Frimware Version : v5.6.2

I am trying to setup Vlan ( I am new to vlan)

where dept A gets a different ip range etc...

I Took out Internal Port 14 from the lan and configure it to be vlan 270 

Now i plug a pc directing into P14 and configure the PC vlan to be 270 ..machine didnt get an IP address ...

Hope i was clear 

ASP TECH
ASP TECH
Toshi_Esumi

First, when you separated port14 from lan hard-switch, it's become an individual untagged interface. You can create vlan subinterfaces by specifying the parent "interface" as port14 (not lan of course), and you must have set the vlan-id ad 270 on the subinterface, not on port14. All vlan interfaces on FGT is tagged-interface. There is no concept for "access port" unlike Cisco, Juniper or many other L2/L3 devices have.

But the device seems to support vlan so should be fine with it. If you're confident with the config on FTG, I would run "diag sniffer" on the FTG and look at both vlan and port14 interfaces to see if DHCP requests are coming in on vlan interface (not on port14). If I don't see any DHCP requests at FTG, I would suspect the device side and it's unlikely operating at vlan 270. In that case, you probably see the request on port14 instead.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors