Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
polarpanda
New Contributor II

Virtual Server Cannot Connect to Outside

Hi there,

I'm new to fortigate. I am trying to figure out why a virtual server stuck at firewall without denied policy setup. It used to work. When I did traceroute on the server, it stopped at the firewall. I don't see any policy to deny the server. Is there any other troubleshooting I can do? Thank you. 

19 REPLIES 19
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you

1- 'diag debug enable'

2- check the gateway setting on the server?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
polarpanda
New Contributor II

Sorry, it's my fault, ede. I was working on another similar issue, so I accidentally chose another firewall. Here is result, but I don't see the ICMP keywords you mentioned:

5.126853 portxx in 10.x.x.x -> 8.8.8.8: icmp: echo request
9.756878 portxx in 10.x.x.x -> 8.8.8.8: icmp: echo request
14.757128 portxx in 10.x.x.x -> 8.8.8.8: icmp: echo request
19.757406 portxx in 10.x.x.x -> 8.8.8.8: icmp: echo request

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed use diag debug flow, this ensures that the traffic that's expected is or is not reaching the firewall and the output will show allow/drop and any nat if applicable. It's always your 1st step in diagnostics , imho

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
polarpanda
New Contributor II

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the advise. I'm really not familiar with fortinet commands. What's the different between your suggestion and Edes'?

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, so the gateway setting on the server is correct, traffic to internet is hitting the FGT.

Now you need to use the 'diag debug flow' command -

diag debug flow filter clear

diag debug flow filter proto 1

diag debug flow show cons ena

diag debug flow show fun ena

diag debug flow show iprop ena

diag debug flow trace start 10

and ping away...trace will show you 10 events. Post one here.

(don't worry if you receive errors with the 'show' commands, they depend on the FOS version)

Ede

polarpanda
New Contributor II

diag debug flow show cons ena

command not available
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

as I wrote, don't worry about errors...in v6.x, 'show console enable' is enabled by default, and not changeable anymore. Results?

Ede

polarpanda
New Contributor II

ede_pfau wrote:

as I wrote, don't worry about errors...in v6.x, 'show console enable' is enabled by default, and not changeable anymore. Results?

Sorry, Ede. I understood now. Here is one of the events' result:

2020-01-08 10:38:06 id=20085 trace_id=3016 func=print_pkt_detail line=5375 msg="vd-root received a packet(proto=1, 10.1.x.x:471xx->10.101.x.x:0) from local. type=0, code=0, id=471xx, seq=179." 2020-01-08 10:38:06 id=20085 trace_id=3016 func=resolve_ip_tuple_fast line=5450 msg="Find an existing session, id-0a24f499, reply direction"

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

That is not sufficient to tell. Could you post more output, like 10 messages?

Ede

polarpanda
New Contributor II

Thank you for following it up, Ede. We found the problem. It's caused by our nutanix configuration. So the firewall site is all good. Thanks.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors