Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
yusaku
New Contributor

Virtual IP to another Interface

is it possible to map ip between interfaces to allow connection to the map ip ?

i'm using fortigate 100D

3 Interfaces 

WAN Interface

LAN1 Interface ( 10.168.1.0/24 )     Fortigate Interface IP : 10.168.1.1

LAN2 Interface ( 10.168.100.0/24 ) Fortigate Interface IP : 10.168.100.1

i'm finding a way to be able to connect to LAN1 ( 10.168.1.30 ) from LAN2 Network.

here's what i did,

1. Create Virtual IP 

10.168.1.30 -> 10.168.100.10 (with interface :ANY)

2. set Policy 

Policy1) From LAN2 to LAN1 any address allow all to Virtual IP  no NAT

Policy2) From LAN1 to LAN2 any address allow all to any address no NAT

which did not work.

what am i missing here ?

3 REPLIES 3
Christopher_McMullan

How are the new policies ordered - are they above existing policies between LAN1 and LAN2?

Are you using ping to test, or another protocol? Try telnet and see what happens.

Try running a sniff and flow trace to see where the communication breaks down:

di sniff pack any "host w.x.y.z and port x" 4 //--replace w.x.y.z with the source IP of your testing host; the VIP will NAT the destination, so we want to track the IP which will not change as it traverses the FortiGate; also, replace x with the port you are using for testing, i.e. 23 for telnet

<test a telnet session, then press Ctl+C to stop the capture>

di de reset

di de en

di de fl s c en

di de fl s f en

di de fl filter addr w.x.y.z //--same as above

di de fl filter port x //--same as above

di de fl tr start 5000

di de fl tr stop //--type this without pressing Enter before running the test, so that you can easily stop the flow trace later

<run the test, then...>

<Enter>

di de fl filter clear

di de reset

di de di

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

@yusaku

Sounds like you got the IP addresses reversed in the VIP if you want to go from LAN2->LAN1.  Haven't tested this nor completely worked it out, but maybe you want something similar to the attached pic.  Enable NAT if you want source IP (10.168.100.10?) converted to the LAN1 interface IP (or use an IP pool if it's another IP address).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Christopher has it right, get out your diagnostic debug flow and follow the trace. Also recheck all VIP mappings and policies.

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors